March 19, 2016food
Salmon The Superfood
Up next in our Superfood Series, we have…Salmon!
Salmon is classified according to the ocean in which it is found. There are two types of salmon, Atlantic and Pacific. There is only one species of Atlantic Salmon while there are five species of Pacific Salmon - Chum, Sockeye, Coho, Pink and Chinook.
So what are some of the health benefits of salmon?
- Salmon contains roughly 58% of the required daily intake of protein per 4-ounce serving
- Salmon also contains amino acids that help maintain muscle tissue mass and stimulate growth
- The proteins from salmon are easy for the body to digest and do not contain carcinogenic compounds
- Salmon is great for your cardiovascular health. The fatty acids in salmon help to give strength to cardiac muscles, reduce blood pressure and lower cholesterol
- Salmon really is brain food! The protein contains high levels of docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) which is the main structural fatty acid in the central nervous system
- Salmon is very rich in Vitamin D, a vitamin that promotes the absorption of calcium and even reduces your risk of getting a heart attack or diabetes
Start incorporating salmon into your diet today by trying out one of these 20 recipes.
Tell us, what is your favorite way to eat salmon?